Government & Regulatory Affairs
We have extensive experience advising clients on compliance with federal, state and local statutes and regulations involving a broad array of governmental agencies across various industries. Our team has also held significant legal positions in the public sector at the local, state and federal level and we are well-respected by federal, state and local authorities. As a result, we structure corporate transactions that meet the requirements of a variety of public sector programs promoting business expansion, community development, and economic growth. Our team also routinely handles complex litigation in federal, state and district courts, including defending clients in commercial, employment, civil rights and other sophisticated and multi-party matters. We represent clients in government and regulatory matters involving:
- Federal, state, and local legislation and regulatory requirements
- Federal, state, and local contracting, including public procurement, public-private partnerships, intergovernmental cooperation agreements, joint ventures and the development of equal opportunity plans
- Federal, state and local governmental subsidies and incentives
- Government investigations, administrative proceedings and court actions
Doing Business in Philadelphia
Navigating the maze of local regulation can be mind-numbing if you are not familiar with the process. We are intimately acquainted with the various agencies that regulate local businesses and are uniquely situated to develop effective legal solutions that are a “win-win” for business and the City of Philadelphia. Managing Member Francine Griesing previously served as Litigation Chair for the City of Philadelphia Law Department under Mayor Edward Rendell, where she oversaw virtually all aspects of local regulation and enforcement. Member Pamela Harper previously served as Deputy Director of Aviation, Marketing & Governmental Affairs for the Philadelphia Airport System under Mayors Wilson Goode and Edward Rendell, where she oversaw management and implementation of the airport’s marketing initiatives and government and regulatory affairs.
Our experience allows us to advise clients on the requirements to conduct business in Philadelphia and defend businesses that are faced with violations or enforcement proceedings. We represent clients in matters involving Philadelphia business taxation, real estate and transfer taxation, health and safety, and nuisance and cease operations proceedings. If you are struggling to operate your business legally in Philadelphia, have received a violation notice unfairly or want to appeal your tax obligations, we can advise and resolve these issues cost-effectively and without undue delay.
- Successfully negotiated resolution of Philadelphia Business Privilege tax dispute on behalf of national company headquartered out of state, resulting in removal of all interest and penalties sought by the Department of Revenue.
- Negotiated with City of Philadelphia Department of Revenue for significant reduction of penalties owed by individual residing in Philadelphia who collected passive royalty income from her music recording career.
- Brought suburban company into compliance with Philadelphia Business Privilege tax obligations through Philadelphia’s Voluntary Disclosure Program.
- Effectively defended international car rental company in dispute over use of historically certified site and modifications to extensive airport parking.
- Successfully defended management company in real estate transfer tax dispute, saving hotel chain millions of dollars in tax liability.
- Represented technology company on compliance with environmental regulations.
- Settled substantial tax dispute for developer involving multimillion dollar portfolio of properties in vicinity of casino projects on Philadelphia waterfront.
- Represented public company on public access in litigation and as to negotiations with bridge, railroad and street right of way issues.
Doing Business in Pennsylvania
We have worked closely with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on a wide array of regulatory and litigation matters, giving us a unique lens on how clients can best comply with Pennsylvania law and requirements. We also routinely represent Fortune 500 companies, privately-held businesses and non-profits in adhering to Commonwealth tax, licensing and administrative requirements so they can successfully function in Pennsylvania.
- Successfully represented a leading retailer in multiple licensing revocation appeals.
- Advised major public utility on reporting obligations to Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission.
- Defended major public utility in customer billing disputes.
- Represented clients in disputes involving Commonwealth inheritance tax.
- Advised clients on Pennsylvania tort claims exposure and caps on liability for state and municipal entities.