Government & Regulatory Affairs
Our attorneys have held significant legal positions in the public sector at both the local and federal level. As a result, we structure transactions that meet the requirements of a variety of public sector programs that promote business expansion, community development, and economic growth. Our team represents clients in responding to investigations and defends clients in administrative proceedings and court actions arising out of government matters. We handle matters involving:
- Federal, state, and local legislation and regulatory requirements
- Federal, state, and local contracting, including public procurement, public-private partnerships, intergovernmental cooperation agreements, joint ventures and the development of equal opportunity plans
- Federal, state and local governmental subsidies and incentives
Doing Business in Philadelphia
Managing Member Francine Griesing previously served as Litigation Chair for the City of Philadelphia Law Department, where she oversaw virtually all aspects of local regulation and enforcement. We are therefore uniquely situated to develop solutions that are a “win-win” for clients and the City and are able to negotiate resolutions that keep businesses running smoothly.
Navigating on your own through the maze of local regulation can be mind-numbing if you are not familiar with the process. We are intimately familiar with various City agencies that regulate local businesses and can advise clients on the requirements to conduct business in Philadelphia and defend businesses that are faced with violations or enforcement proceedings.
We have advised and defended clients in matters involving Philadelphia business taxation, real estate and transfer taxation, health and safety, and nuisance and cease operations proceedings. If you are struggling to operate your business legally in Philadelphia, feel you have received a violation notice unfairly or want to appeal your tax obligations, we can advise and resolve these issues cost-effectively and without undue delay.
- Successfully negotiated resolution of Philadelphia Business Privilege tax dispute on behalf of national company headquartered out of state, resulting in removal of all interest and penalties sought by the Department of Revenue.
- Negotiated with City of Philadelphia Department of Revenue for significant reduction of penalties owed by individual residing in Philadelphia who collected passive royalty income from her music recording career.
- Brought suburban company into compliance with Philadelphia Business Privilege tax obligations through Philadelphia’s Voluntary Disclosure Program.
- Effectively defended international car rental company in dispute over use of historically certified site and modifications to extensive airport parking.
- Successfully defended management company in real estate transfer tax dispute, saving hotel chain millions of dollars in tax liability.
- Represented technology company on compliance with environmental regulations.
- Settled substantial tax dispute for developer involving multimillion dollar portfolio of properties in vicinity of casino projects on Philadelphia waterfront.
- Represented public company on public access in litigation and as to negotiations with bridge, railroad and street right of way issues.