Litigation is expensive and disruptive so we assess early and often how to reach the best resolution, while preparing to try cases when it is in our clients’ best interests to do so. We try cases successfully and are not timid about doing so, but our philosophy is to evaluate the impact on your business to reach negotiated resolutions rather than prolonged litigation that takes a toll on your operations, breaks your budget, and jeopardizes important relationships.
Firm founder and Managing Member Francine Griesing has over 35 years of experience handling high stakes litigation matters under intense public scrutiny including class actions, multi-district litigation, and government enforcement actions. Fran also served as Chair of Litigation for the Philadelphia Law Department, supervising 75 lawyers and attendant support staff in over 2,000 matters, including commercial litigation, employment, regulatory compliance, civil rights, personal injury and property damage. We have a deep bench capable of handling hearings and trials on the local, state, national and global level. Our team has experience in a range of matters in virtually every industry, but we are particularly known for success serving clients in science and technology; financial services; healthcare and pharmaceuticals; chemical and life sciences; retail, restaurant, hospitality, food service; travel and leisure; real estate and development; family owned businesses; and manufacturing.
- Served as legal counsel for the seller in a private placement auction of an $80 million dollar note, where underlying assets included 22 triple net leases in three different states.
- Counseled a national bank on debt restructuring strategy, including advice on exercising confession of judgment cross-default rights and cross-collateralization, and negotiating forbearance and loan extension agreements.
- Negotiated favorable terms of asset purchase and sale agreement and managed integration of assets acquired for regional food and beverage distribution company.
- Drafted vendor/supplier agreements and prepared non-solicitation and non-circumvention agreements protecting critical customer and vendor relationships for a chemical company.
- Defended Fortune 100 company in multi-party action arising out of a multi-million dollar construction dispute.
- Won motion to dismiss in favor of major university in civil rights action.
- Successfully defended major regional transportation authority in matters arising on public facilities.
- Defended major national retailer in series of product liability and premises liability actions.
- Successfully defended national banking institution in multiple financial litigations involving mortgage recording and fair credit actions.
Intellectual Property Litigation
Intellectual property disputes are often risky and fast paced, requiring specialized knowledge of the industry and an appreciation that time is of the essence. We handle sophisticated commercial litigation in the areas of trade secret, copyright, trademark, and unfair competition law. We guide clients on how to minimize litigation and legal exposure when possible, and identify creative business resolutions that are consistent with their business goals. When a dispute arises, we represent clients in federal and state court, as well as before various administration bodies including the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
- Successfully defended six major retail defendants in a copyright infringement case in federal court resulting in the case being dismissed against all of our clients on an initial motion to dismiss.
- Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of biotechnology client in high-stakes trade secret misappropriation litigation.
- Protected medical device client’s trade secrets in multinational litigation.
- Successfully represented a global online retainer in several matters arising out of alleged misrepresentations on its website as to price and source of goods.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 100 company in copyright litigation against a dozen large company defendants arising out of the sale of music CDs resulting in our client being the only defendant being dismissed from the case without paying any damages or settlement.
- Successfully stopped a third party’s use of a confusingly similar trademark on behalf of a major healthcare services provider without litigation resulting in cost-effective and prompt resolution.
- Advised hospitality client to resolve potential disputes with two different customers and negotiated revised contracts with customers to achieve a positive outcome for the client.
- Successfully pursued online copyright and trademark infringement resulting in infringer paying damages and fees to client without litigation.
We also routinely partner with other law firms to serve as their local or liaison counsel, and work with them on important litigation matters. Our attorneys are intimately familiar with the rules and procedures of the state and federal courts in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and we have extensive experience with, and knowledge of, the judges of these courts. We have provided sage advice regarding substantive and procedural matters to out-of-state attorneys, particularly in Pennsylvania, where the rules of the different counties can vary widely.
Contact Us | P 215.618.3720 | F 215.814.9049
1880 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103
195 Montague Street, 14th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
11 Garfield Place Cincinnati, OH 45202
Contact Us P 215.618.3720 F 215.814.9049
Philadelphia 1880 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Suite 1800 | Philadelphia, PA 19103
New York 195 Montague St, 14th Floor | Brooklyn, NY 11201
Cincinnati 11 Garfield Place | Cincinnati, OH 45202