Intellectual Property & Technology
Today, more than ever before, innovation, entrepreneurship and intellectual assets are the drivers of economic growth. At Griesing Law, our goal is to provide exceptional and cost-effective legal solutions that will protect our clients and enable them to succeed in the new economy, whether they have a traditional business model or operate a virtual business. Our significant practical experience in intellectual property and technology is complimented by our thought leadership in these rapidly evolving areas. We write and speak extensively on intellectual property and technology topics.
Our clients include businesses, non-profit organizations and individuals seeking advice on how to leverage new business models, structure and negotiate technology and transactions, and develop effective long term IP strategies.
Intellectual property disputes are often risky and fast moving, requiring specialized knowledge and an appreciation that time is of the essence. We handle sophisticated commercial litigation in the areas of trade secret, copyright, trademark and unfair competition law. We also guide clients on how to minimize litigation when possible and identify creative business resolutions that are consistent with their business goals. When a dispute does arise, we represent clients in federal and state court, as well as before various administration bodies including the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the National Arbitration Forum (NAF), and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). In addition, Member Dina Leytes serves as a neutral arbitrator in domain name disputes administered by WIPO.
Our counseling services include helping clients develop and implement the policies and procedures they need to protect their valuable intellectual property interests. This may include conducting an intellectual property audit, developing and implementing comprehensive trade secret policies, and making sure that clients have the right agreements in place with vendors, independent contractors and employees to ensure that they own and control their assets.
In connection with our IP counseling practice, we also advise clients on selecting, securing and defending trademarks, both nationally and internationally. We work closely with our clients to develop an outcome oriented strategy that takes our clients’ business goals into consideration. In this context, we may advise on trademark licensing and co-existence arrangements where appropriate.
Unique Technology Issues
We are often asked to consult on cutting edge legal issues in the online world. We advise clients that are launching services and product lines in the technology space by combining traditional business counseling advice with our in-depth knowledge of the relevant legal issues.
Recent Representative Matters:
- Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of biotechnology client in high-stakes trade secret misappropriation litigation.
- Protected biochemical client’s trade secrets in multinational litigation.
- Successfully pursued online copyright and trademark infringement resulting in infringer paying damages and fees to client without litigation.
- Advise online news site client on content licensing and fair use with respect to third party content.
- Advise hospitality client on how to protect its valuable intellectual property assets.
- Working together with Swiss and local counsel, achieved favorable settlement on behalf of a Swiss company in a domain name dispute subject to the Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Represented client in employment dispute regarding whether copyrightable content created by employee was a work for hire belonging to employer.
- Provide numerous clients with strategic counseling regarding protection and use of their intellectual property assets.
- Won motion to dismiss in favor of multiple Fortune 500 defendants in trademark infringement action;
- Defended Fortune 50 company in multiparty internet copyright infringement action;
- Represented multiple clients in TTAB and WIPO proceedings; and
- Achieved TRO in favor or biotechnology company in trade secrets case.