ADR & Commercial Litigation
Alternate Dispute Resolution
When litigation can be avoided, we maximize your options to resolve your business conflicts through negotiation, arbitration or mediation without incurring unnecessary expense. Many on our team routinely serve as neutrals in arbitration and mediation.
For clients who do not wish to engage in litigation, we have resolved sensitive, high stakes disputes by obtaining confidential resolutions that leave all parties’ professional reputations intact. By serving as dispute resolution professionals in arbitration, mediation, and negotiation, we have the unique vantage point of assessing how employers and employees perceive their rights and obligations. We are also experienced handling the public relations challenges that often arise in sensitive employment matters.
We have represented both employers and employees, who do not wish to engage in litigation, in resolving sensitive, high stakes disputes with a view towards reaching a confidential resolution that leaves all parties’ professional reputations intact.
Recent Representative Matters:
- Served as sole arbitrator in employment dispute between major public entity and former top executive;
- Served as neutral arbitrator in range of employment discrimination cases including class actions arising out of wage and hour disputes and in a whistleblower action brought by former employer against public company employer;
- Served as court appointed neutral mediator in dispute between company and key employee over alleged ownership interest in business;
- Through mediation, negotiated successful resolution of employment dispute between religious institution and high-level employee;
- Negotiated separation agreement for the general counsel of a biotechnology firm;
- Negotiated confidential separation agreements for various law firm partners and shareholders; and
- Resolved a non-compete dispute with former high level executive on behalf of a large retailer.
Litigation is expensive and disruptive so we assess early and often how to reach the best resolution, while preparing to try cases when it is in our clients’ best interests to do so. We try cases successfully and are not timid about doing so, but our philosophy is to evaluate the impact on your business to reach negotiated resolutions rather than prolonged litigation that takes a toll on your operations, breaks your budget, and jeopardizes important relationships.
Firm founder and Managing Member Fran Griesing, along with Member Ellen Brotman, each have over 30 years of experience handling high stakes litigation matters under intense public scrutiny including class actions, multi-district litigation, and government enforcement actions. Ms. Griesing also served as Chair of Litigation for the Philadelphia Law Department, supervising 75 lawyers and attendant support staff in over 2,000 matters, including commercial litigation, employment, regulatory compliance, civil rights, personal injury and property damage. We have a deep bench capable of handling hearings and trials on the local, state, national and global level. Our team has experience in a range of matters in virtually every industry, but we are particularly known for success serving clients in science and technology; financial services; healthcare and pharmaceuticals; chemical and life sciences; retail, restaurant, hospitality, foodservice; travel and leisure; real estate and development; family owned businesses; and manufacturing.
Recent Representative Matters:
- Defended insured successfully in multimillion dispute involving alleged insurance fraud;
- Defended majority shareholder of family owned business in a minority shareholder lawsuit;
- Defended former CFO in bank fraud matter avoiding civil liability and potential criminal implications;
- Won summary judgment awarding Fortune 500 client contract amount, penalties, interest and attorneys’ fees;
- Negotiated business resolution for dispute between two public companies involving a complex litigation, enabling them to continue doing business;
- Defended Fortune 100 company in multi-party action arising out of a multi-million dollar construction dispute;
- Won motion to dismiss in favor of major university in civil rights action;
- Successfully defended major regional transportation authority in matters arising on public facilities;
- Defended major national retailer in series of product liability and premises liability actions;
- Successfully defended national banking institution in multiple financial litigations involving mortgage recording and fair credit actions; and
- Successfully represent individuals in high profile white collar matters at trial and appellate level.
We also routinely partner with other law firms to serve as their local or liaison counsel, and work with them on important litigation matters. Our attorneys are intimately familiar with the rules and procedures of the state and federal courts in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and we have extensive experience with, and knowledge of, the judges of these courts. We have provided sage advice regarding substantive and procedural matters to out-of-state attorneys, particularly in Pennsylvania, where the rules of the different counties can vary widely.
By clicking submit you have read and agree to the following disclaimer:
The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.